Thursday, January 31, 2008

Superbad Separated at Birth

On Thursday mornings, I volunteer in the Learning Resource Center at Evan's elementary school. Learning Resource Center, if you're not up on the modern educational lingo, is a fancy schmancy name for the school library. I check in books. I check out books. I shelve books. I listen to the various sad tales of why the students in two fourth-grade classes and one kindergarten class have managed to forget to return the books they checked out the previous week. There's always a lot of drama going on there, believe it or not.


Each week, after I sign in at the office, I head up the stairs to the second floor LRC (the hip nickname for the place). Often, teachers hang student artwork along the stairwell. This particular week, one of the older grades (I'm guessing 5th) had done self portraits of themselves in pastels. One in particular caught my eye.
Apparently, "Seth" from the flick, Superbad, attends Evan's school, as the kid wearing the red necktie in the pastel portrait is a dead ringer for that character. Here's a close-up. Excuse the exceptionally crappy quality of this shot. I was taking on the stairs in throng of jostling children, many who wanted to know what I was taking a picture of, why I was taking and what I was going to do with it. I've learned you don't give them much information.
I just really think this portrait looks like Seth. So much so that it made me giggle on the way up to the LRC and again on the way back down to the office to sign up. Sometimes, elementary schools can be highly entertaining places.

No comments: