Monday, January 28, 2008

Chimpanzees as Home Decor

Once again, I'm breaking my blog rules. After posting the pic of the chimp decor item from Steinmart, I wanted to share several others I have encountered over the past few months.

All were taken before I started my blog, which accounts for my rule breaking. However, all also merit viewing because they're just so weird and were snapped on my trusty Katana camera phone.

These two I encountered at the start of the inventory liquidation sale at the late, great Bombay Company at The Promenade in Westlake back in November. At the time both struck me as particularly hilarious because that same week I was having an email conversation with my aforementioned friend and colleague, Marketing Guru Mitch, about an old television program, Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp.

This show, a take off on the old Get Smart secret agent genre, features chimps dressed as people. Lance was the head PI and was supported by the oh-so-lovely, Mata Hairi. I have talked about this show for years, and no one ever seems to remember it. Most people, including my husband, said I was making it up. Mitch was one of the first ones to say he had seen it and admitted that he had it on DVD. (I headed over to Half.com after this chat and purchased the collection for my sister, who also loved that show...talk about a fruitful trip down memory lane).
So...while at the Bombay Company, I encountered these two dead ringers for Lance and snapped their photos, sending them to Mitch with a note saying that we now know what Lance does in his retirement. Working in the restaurant industry...just like Friday's Steinmart chimp. (Are we sensing a theme here?).


Although not all chimps work in food service, apparently. This piece of unique home decor (I THINK it's an end table) from Grace Brothers Furniture at Great Northern Mall in North Olmsted, features a chimp in the entertainment profession. A bongo player perhaps? Karen and I encountered him on our day-after-Christmas shopping expedition. He was in the main display window. And cost $299. You might be able to see it on the tag.


I'm baffled as to why there are furniture designers out there who seem to think furniture shaped like chimpanzees dressed as people is a good idea. But obviously someone out there is buying it, as it keeps turning up.


And when I encounter it, I'll share it...as it consistently amazes me. I am repulsed, yet I also cannot turn away. :)

No comments: