Saturday, January 5, 2008

Oh Dear...I Might Have Created A Monster...

Earlier today, I went for my regular visit to my favorite salon, Color Nation, to have my stylist, Katy, trim up my hair and fix up my color. It was time for a clean-up, especially because I am growing my hair back out longer after wearing it short for 6 months. And...if I waited much longer, the color police were going to put a warrant out for my arrest!

Katy and I got to talking about all sorts of things, as we tend to do during my appointments, and she asked me how Evan was doing. I told her that he, like so many elementary school-age boys at the moment, is adamant about keeping his hair longer and shaggy. He likes it so "it flops," he says.

Since this process started later last year, he and his father have been a battle of wills about it. His father is a firm believer in exceptionally short hair and has his cut far more regularly than I do. Evan has been avoiding haircuts after I mistakenly sent him with his father for one in August and he came back with a clipper cut, teary eyed and angry.

The last cut he had was at a local kiddie hair salon after he refused to go to what he calls "Worst Cuts" and "Horrible Clips," both scenes of prior scalpings. The cut looked great..for about a week. Since then, the kid's hair has been growing out of control. I have never taken him to a full-service, upscale salon, but today after chatting with Katy about options for his thick, insane mop, I booked an appointment for him later that day.

He always has been fascinated by my salon...namely because of the red velvet couches (he and George Costanza!) in the waiting area and also the fact that people working there talk to him while he is waiting for me.
What he didn't realize is that it's even better when you're having your hair cut there. They SHAMPOO your hair at a big sink ("Worst Cuts doesn't do this," he noted to me). The shampoo was the highlight of his first major salon experience. "It feels nice," he reported...looking more than a little smug. I think he could have stayed there all day as Katy rubbed shampoo into his hair.

I stood there watching amused, but it also occurred to me that I have started an evil cycle. The kid enjoys the pampering salon experience. And...he's only 8.

His love affair with the place grew as Katy started cutting his hair. She conversed with him, which he liked. And best, she asked him what he wanted to do with his hair. He explained his "floppy hair" requirements to her and then sat patiently as she worked on thinning down the shaggy mess on top of his head...much to his satisfaction. As we were leaving, he informed me that she is "so nice" and that he's coming back there for his next haircut.

Someday, 15 or 20 years from now, some woman is going to kill me...or maybe she will thank me. Maybe he'll become the kind of man who understands the special relationship a woman has with hair salon and hair stylist. :)


No comments: