Thursday, January 24, 2008

Winter Melancholy Sets In...Or I'm Feeling Sorry for Myself!

A couple of months ago, someone asked the esoteric question, "Where do you think you'll be in 10 years." My answer was effortless. "Somewhere where it doesn't snow," I replied.

I woke up this morning. Looked out the window, and realized...it had snowed again...just a little...over night. Much to my dismay. I felt the familiar stirrings of my annual midwinter funk settling over me.

Yes...I am well aware of the fact that I am a lifelong Northeast Ohio resident. I know snow is part of the deal one strikes with Mother Nature by living here. But that doesn't mean that I like it.

I never have liked the snow. I'm not a skiier. I don't enjoy winter sports. I hate being cold. As a kid, I would convince myself that I wanted to go outside and play in the snow. I'd have my mother help me get all bundled up to go out there, and without fail, within 10 minutes I would be crying on the porch, begging to come back in.


Winter puts me in a blue mood. Or rather, a gray one. Usually my funk doesn't begin until February, but this year, it's starting a little sooner. Maybe it has to do with the fact I got to enjoy some California sunshine a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps that little teaser of beautiful weather, and my return to icy temperatures and gray skies here jumpstarted the melancholy.

I think I'm going to start a sunny weather fund...and by this time next year, I should have enough saved up to take another trip, or two, to a nice warm sunny place as a cure for my midwinter blues.

Fortunately this year, I do have a trip to Las Vegas on the calendar in mid March. It's sunny there. And warm. And there's palm trees. I'm already counting the days. (and imagine the great blog photos, I'll score there...oh...the anticipation of it all!!!)

No comments: