Saturday, January 5, 2008

Photo adventures at Crocker Park

I knew from the start yesterday that it likely wouldn't be the kind of whirlwind photo opportunity day I had enjoyed the evening before, simply because it was going to be a quiet kind of day. It was my son Evan's last day of winter break, and we didn't have much planned other than spending the morning at home doing various chores and then going out to the movies later in the afternoon. Still, I knew that every day brings all sorts of picture possibilities and was confident I'd find something to shoot before I went to bed last night. (I went to bed so early, I never did get around to posting, hence the first-thing post today!)

My friend, Kate, who had the day off, too, decided to join Evan and me for our afternoon outing to Crocker Park, a nice lifestyle center on our side of town, in the somewhat tony sububrb of Westlake. Plenty of stores, decent restaurant selection and a large, modernized cinema. We opted for Champps for lunch and Evan picked the movie -- National Treasure. We started backing down the driveway, and I realized I had done the unthinkable...I didn't have my phone with me! THE HORROR! Glad I realized this before I got too far from home!

Arriving at Crocker Park, I noticed it was still all decked out for Christmas. We grabbed lunch and then had about an hour to kill until the movie, so we wandered around the complex for a bit. I kept my eyes peeled for a good photo moment. We were admiring the massive Christmas tree in the middle of the traffic circle when I noticed something funny about it: The star on top looked tired. It listed to one side rather than standing triumphant on top. It had been a long holiday season...that star had enough cheer. It needed a vacation. We got to giggling about this and all agreed it was a fun, end-of-holidays shot to post.

This picture, however, wasn't my coup de gras. I actually shot a much more unusual one about 10 minutes earlier at the Barnes & Noble. I had been inside the door for the store for no more than 30 seconds when I saw my true photo of the day. But it was going to take a little finessing, as I didn't want to draw attention to myself nor my camera. Although, I will note that I was not the only person who noticed this sight. Pretty much everyone in the store was taking a gander as well, trying to decide what, or rather whom, they were looking at.

I can tell you that I am not cut out to be a private eye. All that subterfuge is a bit stressful! As I quietly pretended to be writing a text message on my phone, I sized up my shot and clicked the shutter. Drat. It wasn't a good shot. Deep breath...and I tried again. with much more success, although the picture is a bit blurry...but I wasn't going to push my luck.

I think perhaps Evan summed up best the reason for this photo. I had been alone while taking it as he and Kate were upstairs poking around the kids' section. I didn't mention the photo to him, but as I was standing in line waiting to check out, he stopped...and he looked...and he looked again. He finally leaned over to me and asked, "Mom, why does that lady look like a man?" I mumbled some sort of unsatisfactory answer to keep him quiet.

But...all I can say is that sight of a gigantic pre-op transexual wearing leggings is a rare, very rare, one in Westlake, Ohio.

No comments: