Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Startling New Era

For years, Evan has only ordered chicken tenders at restaurants

It doesn't matter where we go -- Asian, American, Mexican -- chicken tenders. The only deviation from this is at Italian joints. There he'll get cheese sticks and a pizza.

All of the baby books I read while pregnant said if you are a good eater and introduce your baby to a variety of foods at a young age, they'll be good eaters. What a bunch of crap. I'm a good eater. My husband is a good eater. We gave Evan all sorts of food, which he ate and liked. Until he turned 2. Then it became all about chicken...tenders. I have consistently felt like I have failed as a parent in that arena.

Recently however, we've had an interesting development...he discovered the beauty of burgers. Now granted, a good burger to Evan is one that is a patty, bun and ketchup, but still...it's not chicken tenders. And I fully realize it's not steamed broccoli, a crisp green salad or something else remarkably healthy. But it's something different...and that's a big thing.

Last night, we had a remarkable turn of events. We went to dinner. He got to choose the place. He picked Chili's (we had a gift card for that/Macaroni Grill so the options were limited). He examined the menu...and chose a burger! I nearly fell out of my seat in surprise, as I figured he'd go with the usual there or anywhere we would have ended up.

Now...I will note that he pulled off the top bun, ate the patty with a knife and fork, a la George Costanza, and then ate the top bun separately, leaving the bottom bread in the little serving basket.

We can work on that. I'm just thrilled the liberation from chicken tenders has begun.

I wonder when I can start pushing salad or veggies? Or would my luck be the only thing I'd be pushing?

1 comment:

Andy Donaldson said...

Trust me Robin, at some point they do become human and eat normal food. But chicken nugget and fries are just so dang good!