Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Holy Crop!

Cheryl and Kate took me out yesterday for an early birthday treat...lunch at a great restaurant in Cleveland's Warehouse District called Crop. It was the perfect distraction for what has shaped up to be an extremely hard (and teary) week.

I've been there before, and every time I visit, I'm amused by the cornbread...in the shape of miniature corncobs. For some reason this just cracks me up.

I've heard other friends, particularly Spice, rave about the balsamic-drizzled popcorn there, but alas! It was no longer on the starters menu. Instead they offered Spring Fling popcorn -- popcorn tossed with onions, peppers, baby spinach, ginger, Asian vinaigrette and sirachi sauce. Initially we turned our noses up at it and then decided to give it a try. My advice is this -- order it. As Cheryl noted, quoting Kate from a previous meal, "It's like a party in my mouth."

It made for the perfect break in a difficult week. Even our server, Chris, provided some comic relief. He came to the table to tell...and show...us how much he loves his job. So much so that he sweat a smiley face on his shirt.

Now that's service!

No comments: