Monday, July 21, 2008

An Armadillo in My Latte!

Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

I found myself in Chicago again this past weekend -- a roadtrip with Ty, Spice (a former Chicago resident) and Karen. We went to brunch Sunday morning at a great little place on Clark Street in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood called Uncommon Grounds.

We met up with Spice's friends, Peter and Alaina and also were accompanied but a third Chicago denzien, Jamye. When we got to the restaurant, Peter and Alaina were waiting for us. Alaina had a bowl of coffee -- yes...a bowl...in the European sense. A mighty big and luscious caffeinated delight.

Karen and I delightedly seized upon the concept and each ordered a latte in this size. My caramel latte arrived, and as I gazed down in complete and utter admiration, I realized it not only looked delicious and smelled tantilizing. It. Was. Art.

Check it out -- there's a picture in the foam. And each milky coffee beverage served there has something different, apparently (Karen's design reminded us of a single, longstem rose). To me, my foam art looks like an armadillo, although I'm sure someone reading this will see something different. It's a fun spin on the inkblot tests!

Armadillo or whatever...it didn't last long. The caramel latte bowl tasted as good as it looked.

I downed pretty much all of it during the course of our brunch.

The meal itself was also quite delicious...I had the Green City Market Scramble -- asparagus, spring onions, sorrel, asiago cheese -- and shared a side of chicken, apple and sage sausage links with Karen. YUM!

I'm already plotting my next trip back there as there were other menu items that caught my eye. Although Spice wants us to try another place, M. Henry, if we return there together as a group again. Apparently it was too crowded for our group of 7. If it's anything like Uncommon Ground, I'm sure we will have absolutely no complaints!

No comments: