Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Irony at an Old Moving Picture House


This sign hangs at the back of the historic Detroit Theatre in Lakewood, Ohio.


The theater, which was featured prominently in background shots of the film American Splendor, is a second-run, bargain movie house these days. Usually freezing cold year round. But you can see a movie for $4...or BOGO if you have a trusty Lakewood High School Football Team's "Ranger" Card.


The sign makes me laugh. I don't think I've ever been to a showing there that had more than 20 people watching a film. And that's a big crowd.


Strangely, besides the fact it's right here in town and it's cheap, that's what I really like about it. Almost a private viewing...every time.
Oh, and in case you're wondering....I saw Baby Mama.
And to the critics who said it wasn't funny....I strongly disagree!