Sunday, August 10, 2008

Holidork Temptation...

While the holiday seasons, and all of the dorky accessories people wear to get in the spirit, are still months away, I flirted with a moment of holidorkism today.

For the record, let me say right off the bat, my forays into holidorkery are not serious. I know I look ridiculous in the oh-so-lovely beaded pointsettia fair isle sweater I purchased for $10 on a Macy's sale rack. That's why I wear it. It's called irony. And...in all seriousness...I keep hoping I get invited to a Holiday Horrors Sweater Party. I'm ready.

But I digress...today's holidork moment did not center on the usual festive, Christmastime attire. Oh no. It focused on a lesser holiday in dorkdom -- Thanksgiving. While attending a tag sale at a half-million dollar home in West Akron with my stepmother and Scott, I came across this gem.

Yes. Those are autumn-colored ribbons. And it most certainly is a turkey in the center of the bow. A 1980s bow barrette, nonetheless.

Of course, I had to try it on and model it. And...yes...I almost bought it. Almost. But not quite. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the kind of hair accessory I wore back in 1986 when I was 17. Just couldn't do it. Almost...but not quite.

Although seeing that it was only something like a buck, I'll probably kick myself when I finally get a holidork party invite.

That said, it frightens me just a little that someone had this in their wardrobe here in jolly old 2008.

No comments: