Saturday, April 12, 2008

Moving on to a Bigger Stage

Each year since starting elementary school, Evan has managed to wangle a speaking part or at least a "character" role in his school's spring concerts. This year, sadly, he missed the winter concert in which he was to perform...courtesy of a nasty stomach flu. ( I can attest it was nasty. I had it, too.)

This weekend, he made his debut on a somewhat more public stage...one outside his familiar elementary school. Our church each year puts on youth musical. Kids in grades 6-12 get starring roles. The younger ones, grades 2-5, participate as a chorus. This year's show -- Godspell. Always bit of funky, Biblical fun.

Evan didn't want to be in it, but Scott and I encouraged him to do it (ok...rather pushed him into it). After much consternation on his part and frustration on ours, he reluctantly attended chorus practices. After the first dress rehearsal, he started to admit it was fun. By the time the curtain closed on opening night this evening, the theater bug hit him full force. He's hooked. He didn't want to leave.

Guess I'd better brush up on my stage mother skills. I think they're a bit lacking.

No comments: